Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back Crack! How to go without it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
Aimeee

PostPosted: Tue, 17-Feb-2009 1:50    Post subject: Back Crack! How to go without it? Reply with quote

I just started RG in September, without any habits for cracking things, not even my knuckles. Every practice our coach would crack our backs and mine were always really loud. My flexibility increased nicely and I was able to lie on my stomach, grab my legs and straighten them behind me to touch the ground. During practice I would get really stiff after only a couple hours. Now we have changed the warm up and we no longer crack backs and we don't do the stretch I mentioned, over grabbing one leg and pulling it forward which doesn't stretch my back. Now during practice I cannot do my best flexibilities! I also cannot really stretch at home without someone to crack my back, and I'm afraid to ask anyone to do it in case they don't know how. HELP!

Also, does anyone else have coaches crack their backs as part of warmup? Does anyone feel that getting their back cracked hurts? I don't feel anything, but I feel much more flexible with it. Otherwise, it's like I don't have the flexibility to do the moves!
Youandi

PostPosted: Tue, 17-Feb-2009 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a gymnast or a coach. but can't you lay under a chair or something and then push yourselfs so far that your back is going to crack? i've done this too and it helps
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue, 17-Feb-2009 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i don't understand what you say Aimeee. Confused Embarassed what do you mean with they crack our back? does it mean you can hear the back bone and ribs clicking? how do your coaches work on your backs - how do they bend you all?
Aimeee

PostPosted: Tue, 17-Feb-2009 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youandi- Thanks, but I'm not sure if I want to crack my own back because I don't really know how and it doesn't really help me for practice.

Andrea- It's not really to stretch us, our coaches do that separately. We used to sit on our hands and knees and she pushes on our back and it cracks. It relieves tension and makes it easier to stretch.
rg_chik

PostPosted: Wed, 18-Feb-2009 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, our coach cracks our back sometimes.
i actually go to a chiropractor to get my back cracked professionally. The louder the cracks are, the healthier your back is.
Smile
Youandi

PostPosted: Wed, 18-Feb-2009 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aimeee wrote:
Youandi- Thanks, but I'm not sure if I want to crack my own back because I don't really know how and it doesn't really help me for practice.

Andrea- It's not really to stretch us, our coaches do that separately. We used to sit on our hands and knees and she pushes on our back and it cracks. It relieves tension and makes it easier to stretch.

Well,, if you tried it, you must actually feel the same crack. If you don't you should find a other way cracking your own back.
sora-chan2

PostPosted: Fri, 19-Feb-2010 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got told that we shouldn't crack each other's backs any more as it makes it difficult to do things without doing it?

http://www.youtube.com/princessiero2
Ask me a question!
http://www.formspring.me/toastqueen
Eulucil

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Feb-2010 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmhh maybe you're less flexible because you don't train the hard streching any more. I think that a good warm up and intensive stretching can help you to recover your flex.
akika10

PostPosted: Wed, 3-Mar-2010 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you crack your back safely and by yourself? I'm not sure if it's safe because if you pop the nitrogen bubble and it escapes into your body you could die......not saying that you will but just to stay on the safe side Smile
Eulucil

PostPosted: Thu, 4-Mar-2010 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

akika10 wrote:
How do you crack your back safely and by yourself? I'm not sure if it's safe because if you pop the nitrogen bubble and it escapes into your body you could die......not saying that you will but just to stay on the safe side Smile

Which nitrogen bubble? There is no nitrogen bubbles inside the articulations
akika10

PostPosted: Thu, 4-Mar-2010 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones inbetween your joints Very Happy
RGribbonqueen

PostPosted: Thu, 4-Mar-2010 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always crack my back during warm up
I just lie on my stomach, and do a kind of 'cobra' and when I bend back and stretch, my back cracks itself. It only cracks at the very beginning of training, because i havent stretched since the previous day! My toes crack when I stand over them too Smile
Eulucil

PostPosted: Thu, 4-Mar-2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

akika10 wrote:
the ones inbetween your joints Very Happy

there's no dangerous nitrogen inside the joints. Actually, there's synovial fluid, which is composed by proteins and minerals. Those proteins and minerals exist almost in every tissue of the organism, so the fluid is not toxic.
However, a capsular fracture is not a good thing to happen, so IMO any risky procedure is to be avoided.

Here you have the link to wikipedia about the synovial fluid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synovial_fluid
akika10

PostPosted: Thu, 4-Mar-2010 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher told me that he had a nitrogen bubble pop (it's not just mitrogen, it's co2 and oxygen as well) and it escaped into his finger and the result was a bubble on his finger and when he went to his doctor they said that if he had popped it he could have died..........I don't know if this goes for the rest of the body.........

I do know that cracking your back to relieve pain can cause long term problems but i think stretching to crack it is okay
Elisabeth

PostPosted: Sun, 10-Apr-2011 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

my coach does this! Where we lay on our stomachs and she pushes her hands on either side of our spine. But our other coach won't do this for us. I find that if you sit on a chair, and twist your back, grabbing either side, you can mainly crack your back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: