Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic 2020 Tokyo - Rules and qualifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index Events & Results
View previous topic | View next topic  
Justin

PostPosted: Fri, 25-Mar-2016 9:47    Post subject: Olympic 2020 Tokyo - Rules and qualifications Reply with quote

Might be a bit early, as the 2016 Rio Test Event has yet to start, but the FIG published the first proposals for the qualification system for Tokyo 2020 earlier this week.

As some of you know, the Test Event as a qualifying stage will be eliminated in the next Olympiad. Instead, qualification will be determined by the overall results of the then running World Cup Season.

The FIG has explained this in a draft version in the 2017-2020 World Cup Rules, to be found here.

The text written in article 18 implies that the 2019 World Championships still remain the major qualifying event. Additional Olympic participation rights are constrained again with the current restrictions of NOCs having qualified at least 1 berth (i.e. a NOC with 1 berth cannot win another berth). No actual figures have been released, so I assume the totals (26 individuals and 14 groups of 5) will sustain.

FIG wrote:

ART. 18 OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION*

In the 2020 Rhythmic Gymnastics World Cup Series a separate Olympic Qualification Ranking list will be established and give the opportunity to earn three Olympic qualification places.

Gymnasts who obtained a quota place for their NOC (1 or 2) at the 2019 World Championships, will not be considered in the Olympic Qualification Ranking list.

The Olympic Qualification Ranking list will be established after the last competition of the 2020 World Cup Series. The assignment of World cup points for each competition will be the base to establish the Olympic Qualification Ranking list. However, gymnasts who obtained a quota place for their NOC
(1 or 2) at the 2019 World Championships, will be deleted from the list of each competition and the number of points earned will be assigned to the next eligible gymnast.

The three best ranked gymnasts (max. 1 per NOC) will obtain a quota place. This place is nominative except for NOCs which have already obtained a NOC quota place for their NOC at the 2019 World Championships.

Should there be a tie at the third place, it will be broken as follows: the number of ranks of the three counting competitions achieved by the respective gymnast will be added and the gymnast with the lowest total will prevail.

Should there still be a tie, the total score of the three counting exercises will be added and the gymnast with the highest total will prevail.

Should there still be a tie, he total execution score of the three counting exercises will be added and the gymnast with the highest total execution score will prevail.

Reallocation of unused quota places:
In case a qualified NOC decides not to use its quota place for any reason, the gymnast from the next best ranked eligible NOC, as per the respective Individual ranking results of the 2019 World Championships will obtain the quota place.

*Please note that this paragraph is subject to the approval of the Olympic Qualification System (TR Appendix B) by the Council in May 2016 and subsequent approval by the IOC.

Source

Interestingly, the number of world cups will decrease to a maximum of four each year (as opposed to 8 or 9 which we are now used to in this Olympiad). I'm not sure if this is what is desirable, as I like the World Cup Series, although I must admit they kinda devaluated the Grand Prix series over the last 5 years at the same time (although mostly this is being the result of bad timing). It seems the FIG is trying to standardize the format throughout all gymnastics disciplines, although it hardly affects artistic gymnastics, since they usually have only 4-5 world cups (named challenge cups) each year. On the other hand, it does eliminate a bit of stress and allows more rest for the gymnast (we all know how tightly scheduled the world cup series were in March til May), so from the gymnastics perspective this might be a good thing.

Related, the 2020 World Cup Series will contain the same amount of judges to the World Championships and Olympic Games, which is probably a direct effect of the 2020 season counting as a qualifier. The 2017-2019 World Cup series should have the 'default' amount of judges.

Remember, this is all a draft from the FIG; so we need to wait at least until late May for more information.
susana

PostPosted: Sun, 27-Mar-2016 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is so interesting...
I guess they still have to give more information (for example, maximum number of gymnasts of each NOC in the World Cup, whether they always have to be the same ones... etc.).

I think it's a good idea in one hand, because it rewards the consistency of the gymnast. They have to give their best on every competition and also, if one gymnast happens to have a bad day at the World Championships, it's unfair that she may lose her place at the OG, when she has done a good job the rest of the season.

But, on the other hand... I'm always suspicious of the political issues regarding scores, World Championships organizers, etc. so now we have to add the World Cup Series organizers. I think 4 are very few World Cups. which ends in April. What about the rest of the year?

There are some (well, maybe a lot) gymnasts who compete much less than the top ones because of economical difficulties. What are those girls gonna do now?

What about Grand Prix? Will they mean anything at all in OG qualification? Will there be more than before... or just about the same number?

I'm really looking forward about all of this. I'm not really sure if I like this change or not yet.
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Mon, 18-Apr-2016 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a revision in March version of the document. The World Cup series 2020 top three automatically qualify for Olympic games, which is another advantage to the Russians. The way the scoring is going, Russians always have advantage, no matter what anyway, but if this were 2020, Yana will be out...

Grand prix will be reduced, but still be useful as World cups are only in Feb-Apr.
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Mon, 26-Jul-2021 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon the competition will begin! Bounce

Here the schedule:

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/rhythmic-gymnastics/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results from All-Around Quali

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/rhythmic-gymnastics/results-individual-all-around-qual-a0000101.htm

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/GRY/OG2020-_GRY_C73A_GRYW1AA---------------QUAL--------.pdf

1 AVERINA Dina ROC 106.300 Q
2 AVERINA Arina ROC 106.175 Q
3 ASHRAM Linoy ISR 103.100 Q
4 HARNASKO Alina BLR 99.250 Q
5 SALOS Anastasiia BLR 99.150 Q
6 BALDASSARRI Milena ITA 96.050 Q
7 ZELIKMAN Nicol ISR 95.900 Q
8 KALEYN Boryana BUL 95.650 Q
9 ONOPRIIENKO Viktoriia UKR 95.450 Q
10 POHRANYCHNA Khrystyna UKR 93.100 Q

11 KITA Sumire JPN 92.800 R1
12 GRISKENAS Evita USA 91.700 R2
13 ZENG Laura USA 91.400 R3
14 TASEVA Katrin BUL 91.100 R4
15 AGIURGIUCULESE Alexandra ITA 91.050
16 VEDENEEVA Ekaterina SLO 89.700
17 PAZHAVA Salome GEO 89.650
18 AGHAMIROVA Zohra AZE 87.800
19 OIWA Chisaki JPN 87.550
20 PIGNICZKI Fanni HUN 84.400
21 ADILKHANOVA Alina KAZ 83.800
22 CASTILLO GALINDO Rut MEX 82.750
23 IAKOVLEVA Lidiia AUS 78.775
24 FETISOVA Ekaterina UZB 75.500
25 MARZOUK Habiba EGY 73.350
26 ALVES LOPES Marcia CPV 42.850
akika10

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.Brzeska-Fan wrote:
The results from All-Around Quali

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/rhythmic-gymnastics/results-individual-all-around-qual-a0000101.htm

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/GRY/OG2020-_GRY_C73A_GRYW1AA---------------QUAL--------.pdf

1 AVERINA Dina ROC 106.300 Q
2 AVERINA Arina ROC 106.175 Q
3 ASHRAM Linoy ISR 103.100 Q
4 HARNASKO Alina BLR 99.250 Q
5 SALOS Anastasiia BLR 99.150 Q
6 BALDASSARRI Milena ITA 96.050 Q
7 ZELIKMAN Nicol ISR 95.900 Q
8 KALEYN Boryana BUL 95.650 Q
9 ONOPRIIENKO Viktoriia UKR 95.450 Q
10 POHRANYCHNA Khrystyna UKR 93.100 Q

11 KITA Sumire JPN 92.800 R1
12 GRISKENAS Evita USA 91.700 R2
13 ZENG Laura USA 91.400 R3
14 TASEVA Katrin BUL 91.100 R4
15 AGIURGIUCULESE Alexandra ITA 91.050
16 VEDENEEVA Ekaterina SLO 89.700
17 PAZHAVA Salome GEO 89.650
18 AGHAMIROVA Zohra AZE 87.800
19 OIWA Chisaki JPN 87.550
20 PIGNICZKI Fanni HUN 84.400
21 ADILKHANOVA Alina KAZ 83.800
22 CASTILLO GALINDO Rut MEX 82.750
23 IAKOVLEVA Lidiia AUS 78.775
24 FETISOVA Ekaterina UZB 75.500
25 MARZOUK Habiba EGY 73.350
26 ALVES LOPES Marcia CPV 42.850

Thanks! Do you know of any international streams?
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here re-live:

Part 1 of Quali (ball and hoop)
https://www.zdf.de/sport/olympia/rhythmische-sportgymnastik/rhythmische-sportgymnastik-quali-f-104.html
Part 2 of Quali (clubs and ribbon)
https://www.zdf.de/sport/olympia/rhythmische-sportgymnastik/rhythmische-sportgymnastik-quali-f-102.html

The ZDF page
https://www.zdf.de/sport/olympia/rhythmische-sportgymnastik

Here a link to watch the Final Wink
https://www.zdf.de/sport/olympia/rhythmische-sportgymnastik/rhythm-sportgymnastik-finals-f-100.html
commentator: Regina Saur

Here some other international links:

http://live.harleyquinnwidget.live/
Go to "other sports"

https://www.jokerlivestream.xyz/joker-other-sports-live-streaming-17.html
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article Razz

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/news/margarita-mamun-talks-averina-twins-tokyo-interview

What motivated you the most to win that gold medal in Rio?

"I knew there was only one chance, one opportunity to perform well, not to let anyone down. Especially myself and my team of coaches. I've made mistakes and had losses in my sporting career. I knew how difficult it was and how difficult it is to deal with it. It hurts. And I didn't want to repeat such things, especially during the Olympics.

My coach, Amina Zaripova, performed in Atlanta in 1996 and she then finished fourth, and when we were training, there was a week left before my performance at the games. I was very upset and Amina told me: 'Rita, when I performed and finished fourth, for me it was the end, that's it, and I remember that day as the worst one in my life. But I want you to remember this day as the best day of your life. So you have to stand up now and make it so good that you don't have to regret anything.' I will remember these words always. But I'm happy because I remember that day as one of the best days of my life and it's all thanks not only to my performance but also because of the team that did the main work."

You said that every day before Rio, you felt the pressure. How did you deal with it?

"I remember my most nervous competition, it was in Stuttgart, 2015 pre-Olympic World Championships. This was more nervewrecking than the Olympic Games themselves. That is to say, the nerves started and pre-Olympic excitement has already started well before the beginning 2016. I think it became clear that I have pre-Olympic excitement during that World Champs in Stuttgart. It didn't work out for me there at all, I was one centimeter away from not making it to personal all-around final. I was competing against Alexandra Soldatova at the time and I was very worried. But I want to note all the support from fans. This, too, gave me a lot of motivation, hundreds of emails that I received. They certainly helped a lot."

We recently spoke to Svetlana Romashina, who told us: there are two sports for ROC - artistic swimming and rhythmic gymnastics, where everyone says: 'Our girls will be able to deliver as always.' And she said that sometimes it almost feels like the victory and the gold medal are being diminished by that, do you feel the same way?

"I'll even point out that when I've had failures, there was an immediate interest. At the first World Champs in Kiev, I was then a three-time world champion, but I was the fifth in the all-around competition. And when I came to the interview, they said: 'well let's talk about losing, about the fifth place.' I said: 'How about talking about my 3 world championship titles?' It was very hurtful.

We expect that the artistic swimmers and rhythmic gymnasts will take gold. It's no surprise. But the Olympic Games, Sasha (her husband) always told me - it's a different kind of competition and there are very different things going on there. Miracles happen because not everyone can deal with the moral component, with the psychological component. There are such surprises where the leader can be one person but the other ones wins.

This was the case with Alina Kabaeva in Athens, where she went as a leader but Yulia Barsukova won. This was the case with Evgeniya Kanaeva in Beijing, where the leader was Olga Kapranova, but Evgeniya won. That was our case in Rio and that's absolutely unpredictable. And that's why it's more interesting. It's clear that gold stayed with us anyway. The leaders changed. But I think Olympic gold can't be outshined by anything else."

Do you keep in touch with Yana Kudryavtseva? The two of you have become such an example of what a rivalry should be after Rio...

"Yeah, we're lucky in that regard... I think the reason is our characters. Now we speak a lot less, not as before, because before we lived together and trained together, went to the competition together. Right now, everyone has got their own family and of course we don't communicate as closely as we used to, but we're always happy to see each other."

You mentioned earlier Alexandra Soldatova, how are things with her?

"You see, when everyone has their own family - only the closest friends remain, people who can be counted with your fingers. Sasha is just beginning her adult life, because she's just finished with the sport. When you come out of that glass dome, when you get out of rhythmic gymnastics, you just start living, understanding how life and the world really are. So we see each other sometimes and write between each other, but unfortunately we're not so close. Everyone has their own lives."

How do you think you would feel this time watching the Averina twins compete?

"When girls perform, I feel like I'm going to be very nervous. When I was in Rio, I was cheering for Sasha (her husband), I didn't know what to do with myself. He felt the same for me. But I watched it on TV because we were training and prepared for the performance, he watched it in the stands. And it's very difficult. He said it was easier to go perform than watching you and knowing you can't help with anything.

I understand that in Tokyo, it will be very difficult for me to watch the girls and I will be very worried. But I hope my presence there gives a little bit of confidence and peace of mind to them. At least someone from the audience will be near them, cheering for them from the stands, only if I am allowed to. Because all of it is very supportive, of course. When I performed myself, I remember hearing: 'Stop. Hold on. Keep it till the end.' On one hand, it will be easier for girls that there will be no pressure on the podium, but there will be no help on the other hand either. But in any case, everyone will perform within the same conditions. So we'll just have to cheer and worry."

Let's talk about Dina and Arina [Averina]. What makes them so special, and why are they among the best rhythmic gymnasts in the world?

"Everything worked out so well for them. Now the assesment is open, there are no cards, the gymnasts are not limited. These rules are especially for them. I think I find it hard to imagine for me and Yana (Kudryavtseva), but Dina and Arina fit in these rules harmoniously. They know how to work with these rules. They constantly increase the complexity of their exercises, withstand the incredible tempo. It's amazing, too. Sometimes it's easier to increase the speed for gymnasts who are not so tall. Dina and Arina are the same height as me, but they have such a body type where they can perform sharp elements, fast risks, most importantly - they can do complex elements. Their complexity is what makes them stand out."

Can you talk about Dina and Arina seperately and explain how they are different, in what ways?

"In fact, they are really different. Dina is.... it's difficult to pick the right words. I've been asked this before, but she's more determined, possibly angrier in terms of sporting nature. And Arina seems softer to me. She's the same strong and stubborn. But she is... I would even say her facial features are somewhat softer, but the way in which she expresses herself in her programs is too. Each one of them has their own set of elements. I just went to the Challenge Cup in Moscow, which was at the beginning of July. I noticed that Dina started to have a 'turn in lateral'. It's been a long time since somebody did it. Arisha (Arina) kept her signature puff turn, with many spins. This is going to be interesting, it will be an interesting struggle because Arisha won the European Championships and in gymnastics the pre-Olympic European Championship means a lot. So it's very interesting to see how it will be. I think Dina and Arina will go back to back. Also Linoy Ashram is there, ready to step in. So this is the whole point - we won't know how it will turn out until the very last moment."

So the struggle will be real with all that competition...?

"Dina and Arina will be required to do their programs without any mistakes. This is what their fight is all about, but of course, the competition is very high - Linoy Ashram, Boryana Kaleyn. She was also on the podium at the pre-Olympic Europe champs, so the competition is very intense, also in the group exercise. You look at the grades and get surprised - with every competition they get higher and higher, the difficulty is bigger too. So I don't know.

In the group exercise there will be Nastya Bliznyuk, it will be her third Olympic Games. For Anastasia Maksimova and Anastasia Tatareva it would be their second Olympic Games. When I asked the girls, for example we talked with Nastya Bliznyuk, she said it was less scary to go to her first Olympics. In Rio it was much scarier than the first ones. You already know what to expect, what a stir around they make, what kind of pressure it is, the whole level of responsibility. This psychological responsibility is more and more straining."

What is the main advice you would give Dina and Arina before they compete?

"I said it to them before - the main thing is to keep your Olympics calm. That's the most important. It's all worked out and done, a lot of work was done by the team. The main thing is just doing it. But it can only happen with this very cold, сold-blooded calmness."
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article about Averina sisters Wink

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/news/dina-arina-averina-rhythmic-gymnastics-qualifiers-tokyo

Together, they've pushed themselves - and the sport - higher. Though they are, perhaps, each other's toughest competitor for gold, neither sees it that way.

"We never compete, but we always support each other," explained Dina Averina. "So if she wins, I'm happy for her. If I win, she's happy for me."

They've each learned from the other as they've dominated their sport. Arina Averina says she admires her sister's resilience.

"I want to learn it. When you think that everything is bad and already lost, it's necessary to find strength in yourself and prove first of all to yourself that everything is not lost and that you can," Arina Averina, the 2021 European all-around champion, told Olympics.com earlier this year. "The main thing to fight to the end."

For Dina Averina, she envies her sisters calmer demeanor.

"I like this small kind of indifference from Arisha - when everything is bad, or if you are being scolded - you do not have to take it close to heart," explained Dina Averina. "Do not be so upset, life does not end with this - it is necessary to listen carefully, to analyse it and to go work further. Nothing horrible happened. Probably, that's what I'm missing because I need everything and at once."
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a drama !!! Shocked

Congrats, Linoy Ashram! Bounce
Silver for Dina Averina.
Bronze for Alina Harnasko! Very Happy

Only 4th place for unlucky Arina Averina ...
akika10

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Aug-2021 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the articles and streams.

Ah, I totally understand how Zaripova felt. Fourth place is an achievement but still really painful because you were so close. And the margins this time was very close between Harnasko and Arisha.

I haven't been watching regularly for the past years but I am still shocked that Russia didn't take top places! ROC is clearly shocked as well since they're already contesting it. I would love to know Viner's reaction......

I know in the past it's been said that Russians are overscored but do you think results were fair?
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sun, 8-Aug-2021 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

akika10 wrote:
Thank you for the articles and streams.

I know in the past it's been said that Russians are overscored but do you think results were fair?

My pleasure Smile

Yes, the results were fair.
I watched the whole competition.

RSG at Olympic Games is so exciting! Bounce
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sun, 8-Aug-2021 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group All-Around - Quali

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/rhythmic-gymnastics/results-group-all-around-qual-a0000101.htm

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/GRY/OG2020-_GRY_C73B_GRYW5AA---------------QUAL--------.pdf

1 BUL - Bulgaria 91.800 Q
2 ROC - Russia 89.050 Q
3 ITA - Italy 87.150 Q
4 ISR - Israel 84.650 Q
5 CHN - China 83.600 Q
6 UKR - Ukraine 82.700 Q
7 JPN - Japan 79.725 Q
8 BLR - Belarus 79.650 Q

9 UZB - Uzbekistan 79.000 R1
10 AZE - Azerbaijan 74.350 R2
11 USA - United States of America 73.675
12 BRA - Brazil 73.250
13 EGY - Egypt 69.350
14 AUS - Australia 40.350

Belarus was 12th place with balls, 36.000.
And then 2nd place with clubs/hoops, 43.650.
Very surprising. I could not see the big difference. Can anybody explain?

A shame that Uzbekistan missed the final. Sooo close.
I really enjoyed their balls routine. They scored 42.100, 5th place! Smile
Can anybody explain what happened? Why the low score with clubs/hoops (36.900, 11th place)?

I also enjoyed watching the routines of Brazil and Egypt Love
akika10

PostPosted: Sun, 8-Aug-2021 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I didn't have to wait for replays......and the commentary here is useless. I love Olympic RG but it's too short, never gets enough coverage, and always at the end! I wish it could be expanded somehow.

I just saw Belarus' five balls and it looked difficult and risky so easily room for errors. For whatever reason, I cannot see the score breakdown.

Has anyone not made an inquiry? Laughing

OT but I think an artistic swimming team used Bulgaria's 3+2 music. I know Russia did in their 2007 group disaster. Laughing

Last edited by akika10 on Sun, 8-Aug-2021 4:26; edited 2 times in total
akika10

PostPosted: Sun, 8-Aug-2021 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.Brzeska-Fan wrote:

Yes, the results were fair.
I watched the whole competition.

If the sport has become more fair in terms of scoring (at least in international competitions), that's a relief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index Events & Results All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: