Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you become a fan or a gymnast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
Laughs and smiles

PostPosted: Fri, 28-May-2004 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ufff..... My relationship with gymnastics started when I was 3 years old... and Im now 22...

When I was small, my brother used to play soccer for the school team. At the time, my mther collected us both after school, but when my brother started regular trainings after school hours, my mother decided to put me down in gymnastics, so that way she wouldnt have to go to the school twice.

Now, the funny bit is that my mother thought they weren't proper gymnastics. She thought I was a bit of PE, but it turned out to be AG. so when I gave her a letter from my coach statin some "competition dates", she thought it was something petty.... I wont forget the day she saw me on the vault.... she nearly collapsed the poor thig ( I was only 3!!!)

So, anyway, I was already more into flexibility and elegance, so when we moved to another region and I started in a new school, it felt natural to switch to RG.... I was a gymnast until I was 16..... I still coach (online now) and from time to time I judge when I go back home.....

RG is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. Not only did it shape me physically, but also mentally. It gave me strength and efficiency....

I just love this sport!!!! And the best thing is that I havent lost a lot of shape or flexibility!!!!
crazy4rg

PostPosted: Sat, 11-Aug-2007 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also fell in love with the sport from the internet! I just saw RG for the first time on youtube in May. It was a video of Anna Bessonova and she has been my favorite ever since. If i had not stumbled across it on youtube, i never would have seen rhythmic gymnastics! Thank GOD!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tom T
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Sat, 11-Aug-2007 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Crazy4rg,
Oh, it is so heartwarming story Smile
You really know it when it happens to you...
It is very mysterious really...you realize this is something just so wonderful and then you can't miss it for anything.

I wonder how many have discovered RG just from the internet now...like from Kaja's montages or Tigre's on youtube
or say from video sites and work of Alan Aärtz, Guillermo, Thomas D, Purple...

Whew, then there is seeing RG live in person and up close for the first time. OMG, I get goosebumps still...and just from the music! -T.
tigrenoir

PostPosted: Sat, 11-Aug-2007 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I didn't have Internet when I discovered it : it was only by a book Very Happy

So, there aren't only Internet to discovered a wonder Wink

www.lucduval.net : my galery
ZKata

PostPosted: Sun, 12-Aug-2007 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this a very very long story. I tell it with pleasure if it interests you, but ahead I tell that it will be long. Embarassed
ZKata

PostPosted: Sun, 12-Aug-2007 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likes this the topic, but the all forum! Very Happy I like to read one like this. Everybody managed to get here some other way, you are in this manner in that manner, somebody else from a country somebody else with languages, different people, but the essence at everybody the same one: it the affection of RG. I like it in that manner it RG! Love Love

Tigrenoir, imagine I saw it now in an RG book, I was surprised, how is because I did not know it so at all. From hand apparatus there is a word in it, from the education, from the history, and there are many pictures in it mainly from Hungarian competitors, but famous foreign country gymnasts have pictures in it also. Razz
Kaja =)

PostPosted: Sun, 12-Aug-2007 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out as a gymnast myself picked from a recreational AG group (RG is at a much higher level in our city than AG so our coach often recruits the best-looking little ones who have started AG to competitive RG). I had no idea what RG was but my mum did and she wanted me to go and give it a try. So I did, and I loved it even if my mum was a bit apprehensive at first when she saw the amount and seriousness of training. I remember catching a glimpse of RG in the Sydney Olympics but I wasn't really interested. But then at the 2002 Euros in Granada I got hooked! I taped the entire competition and me and my best friends (also gymnasts) watched the tapes every day after school before training.. I still know practically all the routines from that entire competition by heart! Laughing
Jutsch

PostPosted: Sun, 12-Aug-2007 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a secondary school for sport and was in the neighborclass of the Austrian gymnasts Birgit Schielin and Nina Taborsky. In 1998 my class and I visited with a teacher a competition in the guildhall of Vienna to abet the 2 gymnasts from our school. I was rather fascinated of this sport from the very beginning. Since then I followed every competition which was shown at the Austrian Television and rummaged on the internet about the sport. We had a sports coach at our school which was also a RG coach, and as several girls of my class and I were so fascinated of the sport she offeres us to meet each other in our freetime and that she will explain us how to use the apparatus and so on. So we meet once a week at the gym at our school and learned a little to throw and catch the several apparatus, it was really great for us. I really love it and since then I'm a fan of this sport, although I'm (unfortunately) not a gymnast Very Happy
wuem

PostPosted: Sun, 12-Aug-2007 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story:

I was searching movies with song Nightwish - Oceansoul on youtube and I found one called Valeria Kurylskaya... after watching this great montage I was very impressed by Lera's beauty her moves etc Smile. Then I had interested more about rhythmic gymnastic.
tigrenoir

PostPosted: Sun, 12-Aug-2007 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuem wrote:
My story:

I was searching movies with song Nightwish - Oceansoul on youtube and I found one called Valeria Kurylskaya... after watching this great montage I was very impressed by Lera's beauty her moves etc Smile. Then I had interested more about rhythmic gymnastic.

A vidéo of Kurylskaya on Ocean Soul of Nightwish ?
Well, it's my montage about Valeria Very Happy

Glad to see one of my montage permit at someone to discovered RG Very Happy

andres

PostPosted: Mon, 13-Aug-2007 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I become as Rhythmic fans since almost 8 years , since the olympics games made at Sydney the year 2000, i seen a routine at Ball of Tamara Yerofeeva and i was mesmerized for a while. Know was one of the best routines that i seen.

Now i try of attend to some competition of the Chilean championships and i have a website about the rhythmic gymnastics at Chile since a year i made a website and i am updating periodically, in other words i am almost a 100% involved as fans

Tigrenoir your youtube website is great i have as one of my favorites in my bookmarks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tigrenoir

PostPosted: Mon, 13-Aug-2007 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

andres wrote:

Tigrenoir your youtube website is great i have as one of my favorites in my bookmarks.

Thank you Embarassed

I didn't know that please at so many person Embarassed

andres

PostPosted: Mon, 13-Aug-2007 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigrenoir wrote:

Thank you Embarassed

I didn't know that please at so many person Embarassed

Your welcome, when somebody make a good job , there is that say it and highlight , even i found videos of 1988 in your website that never i seen .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom T
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Mon, 13-Aug-2007 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Andres,
We have the same inspiration! For me was Tamara Yerofeeva's gala at 1998 Goodwill Games in New York. Well, have mentioned it here before. Just afterward I turned to Patrick Tower
and said something (I forget exactly, maybe he remembers) was like,"...something just happened to me". Even I knew RG from back in 80's, but same same...everything changed with Toma.
Smile Tom
CoCoNuTsiopatHic

PostPosted: Mon, 13-Aug-2007 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first memory of RG was during the 1992 Olympics. I was only 6 then, and I only have this vague memory of a girl performing with the ball, and in my little mind I thought she was working with a bowling ball. Heh, well then four years later I fell in love with artistic gymnastics during the 1996 Olympics, and a week later I fell in love with rhythmic as well. 1997 US Rhythmic Nationals were held in my state, and I really wanted to go, but I had to pass it up. It was a lot harder to be a rhythmic fan than an artistic fan in the US because of the lack of coverage, and even with the internet there were so few videos back then. I remember reading a lot about Alina Kabaeva and seeing so many photos of her, but I never got to see her in action until her hoop routine in the prelims in Sydney. I was anticipating it so much to finally see her, and she totally surpassed my expectations. I had no idea that rhythmic could even be that dynamic.

Well as time went on there were more and more videos available to download, but I only had a dial-up connection and so I didn't get to download too much too often. I watched the competition in Athens, but I didn't really feel like I understood any of it. After the entire Athens Olympics, I felt really disappointed in artistic gymnastics, and I really missed Svetlana Khorkina, so didn't pay much attention in 2005. Then with the Winter Olympics coming up I focused so much on figure skating instead, but once those Olympics were over all the same sadness I felt to have Khorkina leave I felt again for Michelle Kwan, so I was down on figure skating too. About this time I discovered YouTube and realized that it really made it so much easier to stay caught up with sports, so I started watching a lot of rhythmic videos and decided that this was where I would put most of my focus in my spare time for my favorite sports. And now I finally feel like I understand it and can appreciate the sport like it deserves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: