Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FIG investigates possible irregularities in judges courses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
*Kalinka*

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Apr-2014 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Gergely! Very Happy Anyway I find unreasonable that dishonest judges are warned or temporarily banned... If some judges really gave "impossible scores" in order to favour some gymnasts, they should be fired and never allowed to judge again! If a judge is corrupted, I don't think the danger of a 9-months suspension would stop her. And, even if she got the ban, she could still keep cheating after being rehabilitated. Because I really doubt that a suspension can turn a corrupted judge into a fair one!
Erik

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Apr-2014 13:01    Post subject: Decision of CAS Reply with quote

Appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport
Appeal upheld

Lausanne (SUI), FIG Office, April 16, 2014: In the litigation between the FIG and the Rhythmic Gymnastics Technical Committee stemming from an intercontinental judges course in December 2012, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has upheld the appeals of the six members of the Rhythmic Gymnastics Technical Committee implicated in the proceedings.

The decision, and sanctions pronounced by the FIG Disciplinary Committee on July 8, 2013 have been lifted. Additionally, the decision of the FIG Appeals Tribunal on December 10, 2013 has been nullified. The FIG has taken note of the CAS's decision.

The disciplinary decisions of the FIG concerning the cancellation of brevets awarded at the course mentioned above, and the sanctions pronounced against the former TC President are maintained.

In the fight for sports justice, the FIG maintains more than ever its degree of vigilance against those who would be tempted to break the rules and betray the spirit of sport. "A sport without rules and justice is not worthy of being called a sport," said FIG President Bruno Grandi. "I know we can count on the integrity of our judges to respect our athletes!"
Gergely

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Apr-2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the bans end early (original ban should have been lifted on 31 Dec 2014) for:

- Natalyia Kuzmina (RUS), Mariya Guigova (BUL), Daniela Delle Chiaie (ITA), Shihoko Sekita (JPN), Noha Abou Shabana (EGY) and Caroline Hunt (USA)

- Former TC president Szyszkowska stays under a life ban

- the brevets acquired in the courses of Bucharest, Alicante and Moscow stay invalid
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Apr-2014 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

butterflyRG wrote:
I hope more details would come out now the case is in court! Circumstancial evidence is far from fact, which will be in favor to appeal side. My guess without knowing any more is that only partial ban would hold. Past TC members should be eligible to function as superior judges in 2014 for instance, but judge test results could still be uphold. I think this is probably expected by the parties who appeal...

I consider my guess is correct! CAS did lift the ban to the TC member in 2014...
USRG Dad

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Apr-2014 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the decision itself available?
Gergely

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Apr-2014 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

butterflyRG wrote:
butterflyRG wrote:
I hope more details would come out now the case is in court! Circumstancial evidence is far from fact, which will be in favor to appeal side. My guess without knowing any more is that only partial ban would hold. Past TC members should be eligible to function as superior judges in 2014 for instance, but judge test results could still be uphold. I think this is probably expected by the parties who appeal...

I consider my guess is correct! CAS did lift the ban to the TC member in 2014...

It was! Yes, the really hard proof was against Szyszkowska and of course the exams were dodgy, that was easy to prove. The others... not so easily. CAS also has a tendency to overturn bans if they are not very solidly proven.

@USRG Dad: I've checked it but it's not yet on CAS. It might or might not be available later, they are quite randomly publicising their cases. (or there is a logic, I just fail to see it)
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Thu, 17-Apr-2014 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
butterflyRG wrote:
butterflyRG wrote:

It was! Yes, the really hard proof was against Szyszkowska and of course the exams were dodgy, that was easy to prove. The others... not so easily. CAS also has a tendency to overturn bans if they are not very solidly proven.

The significance of this nullification to the rest of TC members is that it opens the door for them to re-enter the TC again, simply because it clears them any wrong doings.
Artistry Fan

PostPosted: Fri, 18-Apr-2014 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that they can also trump up future charges as another paranoid "witch hunt."
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Fri, 18-Apr-2014 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artistry Fan wrote:
Not to mention that they can also trump up future charges as another paranoid "witch hunt."

The prosecutor does have burden to prove beyond resonable doubt in any cases. However, this case serves a warning shot that does give future conspirators pause to think twice to have a "secret handshakes". There is no doubt this 'Witch Hunt" is creating some positive impacts on judge tables. One thing I saw this year is that non-Russians got more over 18.00s, and Russians seem to get fairer penalty for bad performances, although the biases are still there.
Artistry Fan

PostPosted: Fri, 18-Apr-2014 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true about the prosecutors.. I suppose I was just really hoping for a serious outcome to send a message. It's just frustrating how we hear about cheating and it's not surprising at all, or that we keep hearing the same names and yet there they still are. I'm just cynical. Wink But, hey, maybe they are tightening a lot of things internally.

And I honestly don't think the scores are a result of the disciplinary commission. It's natural for scores to increase as we get closer to the Olympic year. Similar to how 18s last year were met with shock, while now they're a bit expected. Eventually, we'll get closer to 20 for a few.
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Fri, 18-Apr-2014 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Times Article:

Officials in Rhythmic Gymnastics Judging Scandal Are Said to Be Exonerated
By MARY PILONAPRIL 17, 2014

Citing a lack of evidence, the Court of Arbitration for Sport has exonerated six officials who were implicated in a judging scandal, annulling a decision by the governing body for rhythmic gymnastics.

The ruling has not been formally published, but a copy was provided to The New York Times by a person close to the case. The cheating was said to have occurred in 2012 in testing rooms across Europe, where judges were seeking to qualify to officiate at elite competitions like the Summer Olympics.

The international gymnastics federation, known as F.I.G., spent months investigating 56 rhythmic gymnastics judges, and the group’s findings described test takers’ copying answers from one another’s papers, including mistakes, and exam sheets with crude markups and unexplained bonus points. Some judges had identical scores, according to the documents, which the federation contended was “not possible.”

Charges against the other judges had been dropped previously.

Natalia Kuzmina, the president of the technical committee for rhythmic gymnastics, whose name was cleared, hailed the outcome and slammed officials with the governing body for what she called “witch hunting.”

“Instead of working together for the benefit of the F.I.G. and rhythmic gymnastics,” Kuzmina said in a statement, “they opted to run a prejudicial campaign against the spirit of the sport. I still feel the bitter taste, but I will continue my work for the federation and am ready for professional, correctly structured collaboration, as this is the only right way to develop sport.”

The federation did not respond to a request for comment.
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Fri, 18-Apr-2014 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA Gymnastics Federation press:

CAS upholds USA Gymnastics appeal regarding Hunt
posted on 04/18/2014

INDIANAPOLIS, April 17, 2014 – USA Gymnastics has been notified that the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld the appeal of Caroline Hunt, the director of rhythmic gymnastics for USA Gymnastics and a member of the International Gymnastics Federation’s Rhythmic Gymnastics Technical Committee, and five additional Technical Committee members regarding a decision rendered in July 2013 by the FIG Disciplinary Committee pertaining to an intercontinental judges course in December 2012.

“We are very pleased that CAS upheld Caroline’s appeal and affirmed what we have known from the start,” said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. “Caroline is honest, loyal, hardworking and dedicated to growing the sport of rhythmic gymnastics. ”

“I am glad to have this behind us and will continue efforts to develop and promote rhythmic gymnastics, both here and around the world,” said Hunt.

According to the official FIG release sent on April 16, 2014, “The decision and sanctions pronounced by the FIG Disciplinary Committee on July 8, 2013, have been lifted. Additionally, the decision of the FIG Appeals Tribunal on December 10, 2013, has been nullified. The FIG has taken note of the CAS's decision.”

For the FIG release in its entirety, go to https://www.fig-gymnastics.com/site/figNews/view?id=360. In the near future, complete details and a copy of the decision are expected to be posted on the official Court of Arbitration website, http://www.tas-cas.org/recent-decision.
Gergely

PostPosted: Sat, 19-Apr-2014 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

butterflyRG wrote:
Artistry Fan wrote:

The prosecutor does have burden to prove beyond resonable doubt in any cases. However, this case serves a warning shot that does give future conspirators pause to think twice to have a "secret handshakes".

That's it! In my opinion the whole case is a more of a huge warning than anything else that you cannot get away with anything.
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Thu, 24-Apr-2014 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
In my opinion the whole case is a more of a huge warning than anything else that you cannot get away with anything.

perhaps you meant "just anything". The case has taught offenders to be more careful.

The sport looks set to remain a small one for the duration of the current power in Rhythmic Gymnastics, if the rest of the world sees it as a sport in which they can not win.
Gergely

PostPosted: Tue, 9-Sep-2014 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we still have a thread?

Yes.

Sanctions against none other but the vice-president of FIG due to supervisory negligence of the exams in Bucharest. Funny enough to see Kuzmina as an accuser this time.

Well, from what I've read the negligence was also there.

FIG communique follows.

+++

With regard to sanctions surrounding the Rhythmic Gymnastics Intercontinental Judges Course in December 2012 in Bucharest (ROU), and in response to a request made by the President of said Technical Committee, Natalyia Kouzmina (RUS), to lodge disciplinary proceedings against the Vice-President of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG), Dr Michel Léglise (FRA), the FIG Disciplinary Commission has reached a decision.

Pursuant to article 43.2 of the FIG Statutes, Dr Léglise was blamed in respect of his failure to comply with the written directives of FIG President, Prof. Bruno Grandi (ITA), and with supervisory negligence while administering and marking course examinations in Bucharest.

Dr Léglise is suspended from his position as Vice-President of Acrobatic Gymnastics, and as member of the FIG Presidential Commission until August 31, 2016. Hitherto suspended from the office of Vice-President of Rhythmic Gymnastics, he may not occupy the position in RG, or any other discipline, until August 31, 2016. Dr Léglise will return all allowances received during the course.

Pursuant to the FIG Statutes in force, Dr Léglise may lodge an appeal within 21 days following notification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: