Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you qualify for 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
Justin

PostPosted: Sat, 2-Aug-2014 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so too, since 17 direct qualifiers doesn't really feel right (read: the number doesn't make sense)...
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Sun, 10-Aug-2014 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.saarbruecker-zeitung.de/aufmacher/Brasilien-Jahr-2015-Jahr-2016-Luzern-Nationen-Olympiade-Regatten-Rio-de-Janeiro-Technische-Normen-Triathleten;art27856,5382091

Actually it is pretty simple

Individual

max. 2 gymnasts for each nation

WC 2015 Stuttgart
Places 1-15 qualify for Olympics
Places 16-25 qualify for Pre-Olympics -> 6 gymnasts qualify for Rio

Group

WC 2015 Stuttgart
Places 1-8 qualify for Olympics
Places 9-16 qualify for Pre-Olympics -> 3 groups qualify for Rio
Gergely

PostPosted: Wed, 13-Aug-2014 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just it doesn't add up Wink

15 (direct)+6 (test event)+3 (wild cards) -> 24, but according to the new qualification rules the number of the individual gymnasts is 26!
Gergely

PostPosted: Fri, 12-Sep-2014 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see, it's clarified now.

Individual
2015 WCh (15 gymnasts): AA 1st-15th are qualified
2016 Test Event (6): first 6 of AA who don't have a qualificaton yet
Host (1)
Wildcard (1)
Continental (3)

22 gymnasts will have the chance to qualify at the Test Event, so Worlds AA 16th-37th will qualify for the Test Event itself.

Only one gymnast per nation can get a quota at the Test Event.

+++

Groups

First 24 in AA qualify to the WCh 2014, farewell to all the other groups.

2015 WCh (10 groups): AA 1st-8th are qualified, plus 2 continental places (best-placed groups, the continents of which is not represented yet). If all the continents are represented in the first eight, then it's the 2 best ranked groups after them, regardless of continent.

Host(1 group)

Test Event (3 groups) Six groups with no quotas fight it out for the 3 places at the Test Event.
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Mon, 29-Sep-2014 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Groups at WC Izmir

1. Bulgaria
2. Italy
3. Belarus
4. Russia
5. Israel
6. Azerbaijan
7. Ukraine
8. Japan
9. Germany
10. China
11. Spain
12. Greece
13. Switzerland
14. USA
15. Brazil
16. Uzbekistan
17. Finland
18. France
19. South Korea
20. Poland
21. Canada
22. Portugal
23. Mexico
24. Egypt

These teams have taken 1st Quali hurdle and qualify for WC Stuttgart next year!
Gergely

PostPosted: Tue, 30-Sep-2014 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt has actually made it to Rio, being the sole African group - they are sure to get a continental quota.
Vana

PostPosted: Wed, 1-Oct-2014 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really looking foward this Test Event! It is the first time I will have the chance of watch a high level RG competition live! Hopefully I will have some days off... Bounce

Brazil is qualified as a host. So if Canada or USA don't qualify directly, they could be out of OG? or maybe we can have two groups from American Continent with a wild card?
Marie

PostPosted: Sat, 4-Oct-2014 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
Egypt has actually made it to Rio, being the sole African group - they are sure to get a continental quota.

Where do you read that Africa is guaranteed a continental wildcard for groups? In FIG's qualification document, I can only find the following text about groups and continental representation:

Quote:
The minimum continental representation of quota places allocated from the 2015 World Championships is three (3) continents

The way I understand the document, it might happen that the 10 places from 2015 World Championships are taken by groups from Europe, Asia and America, with no African group among the 10. In that case, Africa (i.e. Egypt) needs to be among the groups to qualify for the test event, and to make it from the test event to the Olympic games, on the same terms as the remaining groups from Europe/Asia/America - without a wildcard. Otherwise, Africa would unfortunately not be represented in the group competition in Rio.

Please comment if you have other information or interpretations!
Gergely

PostPosted: Sun, 5-Oct-2014 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going after the fact that the Egyptian group actually celebrated their qualification to Rio.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/6/56/112231/Sports/Omni-Sports/Egypts-rhythmic-gymnastics-team-reaches-Olympics-f.aspx

And yes, I didn't find a clear reference to that, too in the rule text. But my gut feeling is they must be in the knowing. Or they misinterpreted the rule, which would be strange.

Furthermore, I'd say the minimum continental representation (3) of the text is not equal to continental representation. My feeling is that if there are more than 3 continents present in Stuttgart (which is the case), all participating continents get a quota (which is in line with other sports' continental Olympic qualification settings).

But I have no decisive rule text, unfortunately.
jaanku

PostPosted: Sun, 5-Oct-2014 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be errors in the fact of that article so I guess we will see. "Ten teams will qualify to Rio through Stuttgart 2015 world championships, including top continental teams. " and "Each team performs two routines, one will use five balls, and the other three ribbons and two hoops."
It is 8 groups (unless Continents have to be represented from Stuttgart) and the apparatus is 5 ribbons and 2 hoops 6 clubs.
Gergely

PostPosted: Sun, 5-Oct-2014 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are, but the team itself is unlikely to get the qualification wrong I think (and they were greeted with Rio 2016 banners after arrival).

The FIG text is quite open to interpretation, but that's not a very new thing. I'd welcome a clearer text for sure.
Justin

PostPosted: Sun, 5-Oct-2014 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason people (and apparently the Egyptians themselves too) keep forgetting Sherin Taama participated at the 2000 Olympics on behalf of Egypt. Even in London the PA said Rostom was the first one for Egypt -- which was quite awkward, since she was trained by Taama, who also accompanied Yasmin in the kiss & cry all the time.

FIG and clear text in one line... I have yet to see that.
Gergely

PostPosted: Fri, 2-Jan-2015 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to comb through the docs again, but despite being new year, it's not any clearer.

As Marie said, the fact that Egypt celebrated their qualification does not correlate with the group qualification system.

But maybe it's because Americas have an automatic spot (Brazil as hosts), so that means only 3 other continents are left in Stuttgart (in groups) and then all of them will get at least one place? Weird.

For individuals, it's not an issue, Africa, America and Oceania are guaranteed the spots.

Just for a lookback: in Izmir Jasmine Kerber was the best American gymnast (19th in AA final), Grace Legote the best African (62nd in qualification), and Danielle Prince the best Oceanian (66th in qualification).
Gergely

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Jul-2015 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIG confirms the qualification system. http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/site/figNews/view?id=1196

INDIVIDUAL
2015 WCh (15 gymnasts): AA final 1st-15th are qualified. Gymnasts placed 16th-38th go to the Rio Test Event.
2016 Test Event (6): first 6 of AA who don't have a qualificaton yet
Host (1)
Wildcard (1)
Continental (3)

GROUPS

2015 WCh (10 groups): AA 1st-8th are qualified, plus 2 continental places (best-placed groups, the continents of which is not represented yet). If all the continents are represented in the first eight, then it's the 2 best ranked groups after them, regardless of continent.

AA 9th-14th qualify to the Test Event.

Host(1 group)

Test Event (3 groups) Six groups with no quotas fight it out for the 3 places at the Test Event.
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Jul-2015 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how qualification is done? Will it be like last year where best three routines out of four is counted? I see Russia send 4 gymnasts, how they are going to allocate who is going to do what ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: