Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eleonora Romanova (UKR) possible change to RUS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups
View previous topic | View next topic  
Salphone

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid this might be the End of Romanova's career as a gymnast. She probably won't come back to the ukrainian team and the russian team will be very hard for her too due to the high competitive level.

I'm not sure where this comes from and it would be good to hear something from Eleonora about this matter. She may be caught up in this political struggle and giving up ukrainian citizenship or leaving the Deriuginas may not be her own free will. There are several interest groups in the region she lives and they will do everything to support their own point. Anyway, we don't really know for sure but to me it looks like she is a puppet in this issue. She could have done this officially instead of just staying at home and waiting for the storm to come.
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Salphone. I think she's already used for propaganda and this will be the case later on. And I'm afraid her career will suffer, too.
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. If it is true what the UKR federation and the sports minister state, it's a grave offense on part of the athlete. „Refusal to compete” might even be considered a breach of contract, if there is no serious injury. It certainly warrants either a disciplinary case or a drop from the national team. But if it is true, why was Romanova in Brazil with the national team as nothing happened? If such a refusal happened, it makes absolutely no sense!

this!!, also why to announce that just now??

....anyways

I think the statement they released (and Ihor Zhdanov's) are quite unfortunate.

I agree with Gergely, if this turns out to be true it must be hurtful, sure and its understandable.

But nothing has been confirmed, imo they could have chosen a better way to speak and come off as "the bigger person" here but nahhh. Lets be shady!!

No one knows yet how she feels about it this or if this was her will, yet people are acussing her of sabotage, calling her traitor and despicable on social network groups that Eleonora herself is a member of, and that's quite upsetting.
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there is a great Russian tradition of the conspiracy story, which has been handed down to the Ukraine. A legacy of the Stalinist era? So-and-so is a traitor, and always was a traitor. Even Marxism itself was a breeding ground for the imagination with history as movements, and individuals as puppets.
I seem to remember being told by a British journalist how in all seriousness a group Russian journalists asked him about a conspiracy of western Europe to suppress the Russian birthrate or something. He almost fell out of his chair. He never stopped to think journalists themselves would not be above taking the state's propaganda arm completely seriously.

I cannot imagine national leadership in this instance would go out on a limb with this story without having the gymnastic federation sign off on it first... it took all of a weekend to align themselves with this stuff....
Wink
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the communiqué was reeking of classic state propaganda Mr. Green

+++
About the numbers. Let me draw a parallel with football.

Just for curiosity's sake I checked FIFA's compensation numbers which should be paid after young footballers switch clubs.

The training compensation for elite countries - so the highest level possible - is set to 90 000 euros for 2015. And this is football, sport's biggest economy, not RG.

It's also not 90 000 for each year (there is a sliding scale, for a year of training of a 12 year old the buying club pays less than for a year of training of a 16-17 year old).

But even if we take everything into account and add some other costs, the maximum compensation would be a few hundred thousand euros at best!
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Tue, 23-Feb-2016 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could have been a complete non-story of course. Third or fourth national gymnast who has never scored highly enough to look truly threatening, changes nationality to arch enemy where she will probably sink without trace. The world is actively being shown just what could happen to you too, if you defect.
Settling the issue with a 90,000 euro payout right away in fact could possibly be the most humiliating way to the original country. To whoever bankrolls the new gymnastic federation, this sounds like the kind of small change it costs to give the holiday yachts a lick of paint and pay for the ice-creams.
Gergely

PostPosted: Thu, 25-Feb-2016 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the financial dimension.

This year seven athletes from Crimea switched nationality from Ukraine to Russia, without any fuss. The two athletics federations agreed a deal: they are free to switch and get a racing licence immediately.

The training compensation per athlete asked by Ukraine was reported as 170 000 USD. They might have got less.

http://tass.ru/en/sport/798798

Compare this (realistic) number to the 2 million-5 million USD.
susana

PostPosted: Fri, 1-Apr-2016 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a few days ago some pictures on her instagram and the location was in Novogorsk... so I assume she's training there. Does anyone know anything about this?
Christina

PostPosted: Sat, 18-Jun-2016 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to clear some details... Eleonora Romanova comes from small city Krasnodon (Lugansk region), currently this city is occupied by Russians (just as my homecity Donetsk).
Rus media says that gymnast from LPR (Lugansk People Republic, the territory which is never admitted by World, however admitted as bandits in Ukraine) is going to change her citizinship because of patriotic feelings. Who knows if it is true, I can't say, but in fact that's possible.
Trust me, tha'ts more than just moving (like Moustavaeva did) and is truly disgusting.
YoonA

PostPosted: Fri, 22-Jul-2016 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what ethnicity she is? Ukrainian or Russian? I mean, if she's of Russian origin then I would understand why she moved...however, not so much if she is ukranian
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 5-Sep-2016 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think either mixed or Russian ethnicity.

Romanova gained Russian citizenship on 1st September, which means she can compete for Russia from 1st September 2017.
Salphone

PostPosted: Mon, 5-Sep-2016 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

So she is going to miss nearly two full seasons. September next year will be way too late to take part in any major competitions. But we will probably see her at some Russian competitions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: