Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016 Olympics, Rio de Janeiro (August 5th - 21st)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results
View previous topic | View next topic  
vn

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Aug-2016 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any video to rewatch the group final?? ty Smile
viddy

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olwen: I completely agree with your comments on Yana. I do not know how people were not surprised with her placement at the games. Her foot has been so bad for so long, without a true lengthy time to heal, it was inevitable. Considering she'd never had previous injuries surely her mental game was to suffer. I feel bad for her but it was inevitable. I predicted Rita, Yana, Ganna, then Melitina. I didn't know who would get 5th and further (Son, Halinka, etc etc).

I could not understand how the ball scores were nearly 1 point ahead for both Rita and Yana, besides being the first "preemptive" scores. That being said scoring was a lot better than most competitions! The group scores were decent however Russia was out of synch, fumbling, and dropping an awful lot for extremely good scores. BUT still better than usual!

Favourites:
Spain, Italy, Bulgaria and Belarus!
Strong Halkina!!!
Son's best routines (and no longer cutsey!)
Carolina's routines & continuance in RG
Amina Zaripova & Oksana Chusovitina's instagram photo together (reminiscing 1996!)
USA's participation (but definitely needed more participation in group competitions to learn to deal with nerves)
Great mix judges nationalities (although still many USSR countries & neighbours)
Awesome attendance of fans!!

Dislikes:
High collars, excessive appliques on suits, etc.
Salome's injury
China's group injury (do we know what happened yet?!)
RUS scores always getting the "benefit of the doubt"
Individual's musics were way less interesting than groups this year!
JPN less interesting collaborations we've seen in a while from them
Olwen

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Viddy! I still think it is weird that commentators (well anglophone commentators at least) who seemed to know lots of other info etc. Didn't mention it- normally commentators are all over "injury recoveries" before the games. I can only conclude they didn't know. "Kudos to Kudryavtseva" though in my opinion and I hope she is happy enough considering what she has been through this past year. Congrats to Rita too though.

I hope the code of points addresses the frivolous use of appliqué to costumes- sequins FINE, but all the extra fluff and frill is distracting.

I only differed from you in that I thought Melitina would get bronze but not without a Son/Ganna fight. But Halkina was excellent in these Games.
Tom T
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree you completely also, Olwen! You nailed it!
Your impression mirrors what I saw of Yana at EC Holon in June (didn't go Rio, long story). Anyhow, in June on initial look...it was clear Yana had gained bit of weight due her injury time off. Yes, she won @ Holon, but I sensed same as you, she was just getting back into it again and not as sure of herself as previous years. She didn't have quite the same lightness on her feet and magic of movement as earlier and seemed a work in-progess still with new body to regain her earlier confidence.

When I watched AA final Saturday online (watched BBC feed that day) Yana was basically the same gymnast as June at EC and same same not as sure of herself given what she has been through since foot injury year ago at Baku. Rita on the other hand at Rio, outside of a brief moment of nerves just before starting her first routine with hoop...ever after was solid and consistent throughout her 4-routines. That's all turns out Rita had to do to win (am happy for her). Agree, BBC commentators made no mention of Yana's injury and just seemed to be following prepared notes on history & statistics. Yet, they did point out the difficulty values of Rita & Yana's routines as being higher than everyone else. For me it was the only rationale as to why Anna Rizat could not catch and overcome Yana for silver after Yana's drop with clubs.

More re Yana's drop...on my FB artist page, came the following comment, "Yana with such a huge mistake did not deserve silver!"
My response, "Ya know, is kinda like situation @ 2000 Sydney when Alina Kabaeva dropped hoop and it went rolling almost out of carpet. In that case, Alina went to bronze. Well, with Yana Kudry, hmm, maybe routine's difficulty (value) that saved her score. I have a few friends that are intl judges. It is question they would know answer to and how goes with deductions..."

Have more to say re Sasha Soldatova, need to go to bed here California tho. Good night, cheers mates, Tom
Olwen

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response too Tom! Glad to know I am not the only one who saw the side of how difficult this actually must have been for Kudry to get to the podium. Where as, Rita has been solid and in preparation since January really (and paid off) I am not familiar with the details of this code, so couldn't comment on the degree of deduction Yana got for the club drop- but I was actually thinking that the judges creamed her for it rather than let her off lightly. I think I might have had the BBC commentators too- good quality actually. They seemed to have some tid bits of info about the gymnasts, such as Halkina having heart surgery at 14 (i did not know that (or forgot))

I am interested to hear what your comments are on Sasha Soldatova

Speaking of Clubs difficulty, I was extremely impressed by Neviana Vladinova's Clubs routine in finals.

Viddy- I also would be curious to know what the nature of Salome's foot injury turns out to be. Perhaps we will never know. Many gymnasts in Rio had taped/wrapped feet and ankles, implying many many lower limb injuries. I wonder if my observations are a reflection of the widespread increased use of sport taping for prevention and care of injuries than ever before, or not?
charleslch

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Shadow* wrote:
I wish the Belarussian costume designers started making more elegant costumes for the girls. I apologize, most of them look like clown outfits Sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last update: 03/09/2012
viddy

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the impressions, everyone! I am very happy to have seen another Olympics Very Happy !

I'm glad you got those remarks and comments on your FB page, Tom. Some people rattle on about how the experts know best.. but in the end it's the general public that choses to watch and becomes fans- or not. We can all understand a drop, out of bounds, etc. The general public should not be expected to know that Yana has an originality this season. If the public is asking why Yana didn't get bronze like Alina did in 2000 that is a problem. But that's my own opinion.

I did notice that there was way more sports taping in MAG & WAG this year, Olwen. So maybe you're right that the athletes are just more aware and so are their physiotherapists. I hope whoever was injured improves soon!!
viddy

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Aug-2016 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh, I totally missed your comment on Neviana's clubs! YES! Such an incredible routine. Every time I watched it this year I would be so excited. I think it has a lot to do with the agility of the gymnast, the music, and the apparatus skills. Go Bulgaria! Love
Anna Kull

PostPosted: Tue, 23-Aug-2016 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have been judging the Worlds in vaulting last week I didn't see any of the RG which is why I am eagerly waiting to find time to see some re-live coverage. Has anyone found one for individual qualifîcation and the final yet?

Thank's a lot for sharing
ririx

PostPosted: Tue, 23-Aug-2016 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a full replay of the competition (click on the calendar to chose the day you want to see). It is only available in France, but you can use a proxy to watch it anyway :
http://rio2016.francetvsport.fr/direct-replay/jour=2016-08-21/discipline=GR/index.html
Tom T
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Tue, 23-Aug-2016 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, ririx...on I used a vpn tunnel app ("TunnelBear") to access FranceTvSport feed. They have zero commentary, kinda refreshing actually:)

Re Sasha Soldatova, here is a comment I made late July (edited to to reflect how played out Rio)... "Sydney 2000, am outside the RG arena and meet up with Alexander Kochann (rsg.net website owner). We are talking and suddenly Alex points and says, "Look there is Irina Tchachina!". Irina (won silver Athens 2004) she was just walking by approx 15-20m from us. I ask her status and Alex advised she was reserve gymnast on Russian team, behind Alina Kabaeva & Yulia Barsoukova. Then Alex says, "You know, she is probably the best gymnast here and won't even be competing!" Fast forward 16-years to Rio and one can make same comment today re Alexsandra Soldatova (as reserve)...ie. that Sasha could be the best gymnast at Rio and (didn't) not even perform."
Sasha's time is coming (Tokyo 2020) or is already here now. Pesaro 2017 will be interesting:)))
Gergely

PostPosted: Wed, 24-Aug-2016 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was! Long layoff, rehabilitation plus obvious lack of race routine this year. I also feel - that is a feeling of course only - that Yana's aura of invulnerability is gone. Also, in the hall you could literally feel she's scared and very tense. I've never seen her this way.

I hope she'll be stubborn enough (and her foot stable enough - I have doubts about that) to try to grab the gold in Tokyo.

I'm really happy that Rita won, not because she was the best gymnast this cycle (I'd say that goes to Yana), but for her personal journey. If there is someone who's psychologically almost unfit for a high-level performance sport, it's her. Easily stressed, very nervous, no competitive streak. She's done a wonderful job with Zaripova and her psychologist, it's an amazing journey to get to the top of the Olympic podium.

I always deeply respected how opena Rita is about her own mental challenges and how open she is about her shortcomings - and in the same time how hard they worked to overcome everything.

Olwen wrote:
Thank you for your response too Tom! Glad to know I am not the only one who saw the side of how difficult this actually must have been for Kudry to get to the podium. Where as, Rita has been solid and in preparation since January really (and paid off) I am not familiar with the details of this code, so couldn't comment on the degree of deduction Yana got for the club drop- but I was actually thinking that the judges creamed her for it rather than let her off lightly. I think I might have had the BBC commentators too- good quality actually. They seemed to have some tid bits of info about the gymnasts, such as Halkina having heart surgery at 14 (i did not know that (or forgot))

I am interested to hear what your comments are on Sasha Soldatova

Speaking of Clubs difficulty, I was extremely impressed by Neviana Vladinova's Clubs routine in finals.

Viddy- I also would be curious to know what the nature of Salome's foot injury turns out to be. Perhaps we will never know. Many gymnasts in Rio had taped/wrapped feet and ankles, implying many many lower limb injuries. I wonder if my observations are a reflection of the widespread increased use of sport taping for prevention and care of injuries than ever before, or not?

Loolita

PostPosted: Wed, 24-Aug-2016 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I d like to thank you all for your impressions and your analyzis..I mean this place might be the last one where people who follow RG for more than 2 olympic cycle can debate with true "historical background".....it feels so good reading your comments so much more interesting than the "average fan base" on fb or other forums.
I guess it s because most of the RG fan are quite young and are not always able to see the global picture....anyway THANK YOU for keeping this forum the place to be to follow RG with people really passionate about it ! Love
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Wed, 24-Aug-2016 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
maksymehappy wrote:
Does anybody see Mamun continuing in RG? She has often shown the strain of expectation and she knows very well it is Kudryavtseva who carries the fan base. With nothing left to prove and very fine young talents in the same stable who have almost risen to the very top already, the only way seems down now.

I agree. But maybe she loves it enough to go on for fun Very Happy But I think she's going to retire, her work is complete. And she did an amazing job.

I appreciate what sensitive Rita has been trying to do artistically with her floor dramas. I would welcome her staying for as long as she likes just so she can express herself more. After all, we can be certain of a couple of Russians on the podium whoever they are and there's no need to hurry her off. But I doubt she would want to commit herself to a another tough 4 years. Would Viner let her commit herself to only one more year like a lap of honour?
Olwen

PostPosted: Thu, 25-Aug-2016 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gergely and Tom and all, nice to hear thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: