Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Soo-ji

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups
View previous topic | View next topic  
Verónica

PostPosted: Fri, 29-Feb-2008 16:37    Post subject: Shin Soo-ji Reply with quote

Article on Shin Soo-ji

Quote:
Korean Rhythmic Gymnast to Compete in Beijing

It had snowed the night before Feb. 26 and the temperature had dropped sharply. In the gymnasium of Sejong High School in Suseo, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, it was chilly even inside the building.

This is where 16-year-old “fairy rhythmic gymnast” Shin Soo-ji does her trainings.

The place was far too cold for gymnasts to take training sessions. To rhythmic gymnasts for whom flexibility is fatally important, training in low temperature would inevitably mean frequent injuries. It seemed that the gymnasts were used to doing trainings wearing several layers of shirts and socks.

Shin Soo-ji won the top place in the competition to select the rhythmic gymnasts to represent South Korea in the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, held at Korea National Sport University on Feb. 3. In the 28th Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships in September last year, Shin placed herself on the 17th rank and succeeded in getting the ticket to the Olympics which is given only to top 20 gymnasts.

For South Korea, this is the first time in 16 years since the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games that it has won the ticket to Olympics in rhythmic gymnastics. Shin Soo-ji is the only Asian gymnast to compete in the Beijing Olympics.

Mun Gwang-hye, Shin’s mother, said, “After each training session her socks get red with the blood from Soo-ji’s feet cracked by coldness. Two of her toe nails have fallen out already.”

Though she is a national gymnast, the environment for her trainings can’t be poorer. She is not accepted to enter Taeneung National Village because winning medals in rhythmic gymnastics has been considered unlikely to happen. Fortunately Shin is being trained in Russia with the help of the Federation of International Gymnastics. At the moment she is off training due to a stress fracture in her lower leg and is back in South Korea this week. She has also given up the Moscow Grand Prix competition in March she was scheduled to take part. In the competition early this month, she had to get injections due to the stress fracture before doing her performance.

Last year she spent about 200 days abroad to take part in 12 competitions and trainings.

For the moment the biggest enemy for the young gymnast is money. Training in Russia costs 300,000 won per day, and she had been handling it personally. Recently her parents closed their installment savings.

All her suits she wears in competitions are second-hand items. Unable to afford the suits priced above 2 million won per set, she bought ones previously worn by Russian gymnasts.

A small amount of rice, fruits and six nutrition pills per meal are all she eats a day. In the prime of growth, she is tempted by delicious food, but the sad reality says she shouldn’t eat them. “When I have something I want to eat, I comfort myself looking at the pictures of food on the Internet,” she said.

Though she is well-aware of the fact that rhythmic gymnastics is not a popular sport, she was greatly motivated by the recent success stories of figure skater Kim Yu-na and swimmer Park Tae-hwan. “They showed that even an unpopular sport can gain popularity when a star is born. I believe that the popularity of rhythmic gymnastics depends on how well I perform,” said Shin.

The final goal of Shin Soo-ji is becoming the first Korean international judge. “Because there is no Korean judge, conditions are not favorable in judgment,” she said. “I want to learn English and Russian when the time allows and become an international judge.”

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2008022969748
Hooby

PostPosted: Fri, 29-Feb-2008 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor girl! Her cold feet lead her to have broken toe nails and wounded feet. I like this article. Thanks!!!
*Don't ever let someone tell you that you can't do something.You got a dream, you got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can’t do it. You want something, go get it.
purple

PostPosted: Fri, 29-Feb-2008 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, I knew very little about her... she was really an outcomer last year.
sofia

PostPosted: Fri, 29-Feb-2008 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much..I am a fan! Wink
maii

PostPosted: Sun, 2-Mar-2008 11:51    Post subject: Re: Shin Soo-ji Reply with quote

Verónica wrote:
Article on Shin Soo-ji
Quote:
Mun Gwang-hye, Shin’s mother, said, “After each training session her socks get red with the blood from Soo-ji’s feet cracked by coldness. Two of her toe nails have fallen out already.”

Shocked
Rgfan93

PostPosted: Sun, 2-Mar-2008 13:52    Post subject: Re: Shin Soo-ji Reply with quote

maii wrote:
Verónica wrote:
Article on Shin Soo-ji
Quote:

Shocked

Shocked Totally agreed.

Tchachina Bessonova Kanaeva Zhukova
Kaja =)

PostPosted: Sun, 2-Mar-2008 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad... What a fighter. Thanks for the article.
Tahnee
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Mon, 3-Mar-2008 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

"only Asian gymnast to compete in the Beijing Olympics" - Huh? Confused

And over $340 Australian to train in Russia each day (I used a currency converter Wink )? Far out.... Shocked
rg_chik

PostPosted: Sun, 20-Apr-2008 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know who her coach is?
And any previous coaches? im just curious Very Happy
sofia

PostPosted: Sun, 20-Apr-2008 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

her coach is a russian girl....whose name I know but I can't remember.
Anna Kull

PostPosted: Mon, 21-Apr-2008 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahnee wrote:

And over $340 Australian to train in Russia each day (I used a currency converter Wink )? Far out.... Shocked

People forget to fast that KAZ is in Asia too just because Aliya Yussupova's name is not sounding to Asian but they really shouldn't forget that CHN is an Asian country Shocked
Pet

PostPosted: Tue, 22-Apr-2008 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Kull wrote:
Tahnee wrote:

People forget to fast that KAZ is in Asia too just because Aliya Yussupova's name is not sounding to Asian but they really shouldn't forget that CHN is an Asian country Shocked

...and Azerbaijan as well! So by virtue of naturalization, Aliya Garaeva is asian...

So we have Garaeva (AZE), Yussupova (KAZ), Soo-ji (KOR) and the chineese girl representing asia..four girls all in all...
I really hope Trimofova(?) (UZB) also made it...
rg_chik

PostPosted: Tue, 22-Apr-2008 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by rg_chik on Thu, 24-Apr-2008 12:26; edited 1 time in total
sofia

PostPosted: Tue, 22-Apr-2008 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

no something diffirent ...like natalia ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: