Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dying ribbons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Leotards & Equipment
View previous topic | View next topic  
tianehu

PostPosted: Tue, 2-Dec-2003 11:33    Post subject: dying ribbons Reply with quote

i wanted to know, how do you colour your ribbons? do you use normal clothes dye, or colour them in with a special paint/pen? will it work on all types of fabric eg nylon? Thanks. Smile
tianehu

PostPosted: Tue, 2-Dec-2003 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and i forgot to ask, what if you want to draw designs? must you use a special sort of pen? for example, intricate designs like this. i hope the link works!
rhythmicprincess

PostPosted: Wed, 3-Dec-2003 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I colored my ribbon with fabric markers i got at the local craft store. They worked great but made the ribbon a tiny bit stiff, you you cant tell with the ribbon moving-only to the touch. The reason i chose marker a opposed to liquid dye was that i colored it rainbow and i used small sections which is easier just to color with markers. also buying many pens is cheaper then buying many dying kits.
tianehu

PostPosted: Wed, 3-Dec-2003 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh okay thanks! i believe i can get fabric markers here too. what material is your ribbon by the way? will the marker seep and spread?
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed, 3-Dec-2003 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check the markers on an old ribbon to be sure that they will not make your ribbon stiff. Crayola markers have bright colours and you'll get a soft ribbon, just be sure not to get your ribbon wet as they are not water resistant. Pantone markers also work well but are more expensive.
LisaMN

PostPosted: Wed, 3-Dec-2003 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend fabric dye to do ribbons, in my experience they actually shrink the ribbon and can make them fall apart!!! (Not good when you get to a competition and realise that a ribbon that was .5 m longer then minimun length is now too short!!)

Last year when I did the ribbons for my girls I actually found some silk fabric paint/dye, you need to be careful with it cause it can run easily but it worked really great, I plan to use it on all the new ribbons this year. I like it better then the markers because I find it fills the colour in better!!

Lisa MN
Rhythmic Inspirations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Leotards & Equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: